Wednesday, January 10, 2018

North Carolina Sweet 'n Spicy BBQ Sauce

Hi folks, been a while, huh? I thought I'd share my favorite BBQ Sauce with you My friend Sam Paul shared his original tweaked-for-low-carb recipe that he got from BBQ Brothers, and I tweaked it a bit further. Both are posted below. Sam likes a thinner sauce, and I kinda like it thicker which is why I let it cook for a long time on really low and let it reduce. When you let it reduce, it really concentrates the flavors so you may want to back off on the Red Peppers!! (ask me how I know that?) If you want, you can thicken it more with some Xanthan gum or other LC thickeners. I've done that once when I was in a hurry.
The recipe as I've tweaked it makes just shy of a quart of sauce, depending on how much you reduce it. It lasts quite a while in the fridge.
I have yet to find a Sugar Free BBQ sauce on the shelves of a grocery store thats any good, and I must say I prefer this one over any store bought one I've ever had. Next time I make some, I'll post some pictures.


NORTH CAROLINA BBQ SAUCE (BBQ BROS)

Given to me by Sam Paul, and I changed it up a little bit

Original Recipe:

1-1/2 CUP White Distilled Vinegar
1/2 Cup Sugar (I used White Ideal)
1/2 Cup of Ketchup (I used low-sugar Heinz)
3 TBS Louisiana Hot Sauce
3 TBS Honey (I used SF syrup)
1 TBS Salt
2 tsp of Red Pepper Flakes
2 tsp of Black Pepper
*I add a tblsp of liquid smoke mesquite
Sam’s Notes: Mix all together in sauce pan and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes. This is a somewhat thin sauce, but it's very good! It's my favorite sauce right now.

My Tweaked version:

1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce

10 to 12 ounces white vinegar (I use the tomato sauce can and pour the vinegar in to clean it out, a trick my mom taught me)

½ can of water Using the can from the tomato sauce, about 3/4 cup

½ teaspoon of allspice (to replace some of the flavor in the ketchup I replaced)

¾ cup of SF Sweetener of choice (I’ve used Splenda, Whey Low, and Xylitol with good results)

Splash of Worcestershire sauce (replacing some of the stuff in ketchup again)

1/4 cup of Louisiana Hot Sauce or Hot Sauce of choice

1/4 cup of SF Maple Syrup (or SF brown sugar, or honey)

1 Tablespoons of salt

2 to 3 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes (depending on the heat you want)

2 to 3 teaspoons Black Pepper

½ teaspoon Xanthan Gum or other thickener of choice. (Optional for thickening)

My Notes: Made my way, it makes about a quart of sauce and lasts quite a while in the fridge. I like to cook it very low and slow for a long time and let it reduce by about 1/3. Makes it nice and thick. And it also makes your house smell like a smoke house! In a good way.



No comments: