Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Notater Soup

In the last few days, I've had a cold, or something.  Haven't been really sick in a long time, and it never fails to remind me what a big baby I really am.  I'm a whiny brat when I'm sick and I don't even wanna be around me!!!!  I lost my voice on Sunday, which the world probably would have rejoiced, but I didn't have anyone around to talk to except my fur babies, and they didn't seem to care one bit.

But when I'm sick, all I want is comfort foods.  Something that will wrap it's warm arms around me and make me feel like I'm cradled in my sweet momma's arms, like when I was a kid, being a TRUE whiny brat.  And if you know me at all, you know I am the consummate soup-aholic.  So, being a true soup-aholic, and an addict in the world of all things potato, what do you think I was craving???  Potato soup of course!  Back in the day, I used to make a very simple tater soup.  Diced potatoes with some diced onion, in water till tender, add some butter and milk, salt and pepper. Done....  (I think this must be before I actually developed taste buds.)

Well, as bad as I felt, I HAD to have some tater soup....But since I have committed myself to staying true to my way of life, I had to come up with an alternative.

Diakon radish's have been my go-to for dishes that require a tater substitute.  Diakon in their raw state have a spicy, radish-like taste and texture.  But when they are cooked, that spicy heat goes away completely.  It's amazing how it works, but it does!  So using my basic recipe with several major twists and turns, I threw together this amazing bowl of soup.


Dinah's Notater Soup

8 slices of bacon
1 small onion diced
2 stalks celery diced

32 ounce chicken broth
3 to 4 cups diakon radish diced
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
2 minced garlic cloves
pinch of red pepper flakes
8 ounces cream cheese
1/4 to 1/3 cup heavy cream

1. Dice up bacon and fry till crispy in a soup pot on the stove. Remove cooked bacon and reserve. 

2. Add the onions and celery to pot. Cook till translucent, about 5 minutes or so.
3.  Add the broth and the diakon radish. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low and cook until the diakon is fork tender.
4. Place the cream cheese and cream in a bowl and microwave it till the cream cheese blends in with the cream.  Whisk it to desolve small clumps of cream cheese as best you can.  Some smaller clumps will desolve in the soup.
5. Add Cream mixture to soup and stir. Bring it up to a mild simmer and reseason to taste. 

Serve with reserved bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.

Although I've not done the detailed carb count on this recipe, I can assure you that the radish replacement is far less carbs than the recipe with those nasty, waist expanding, taters.  A cup of Diced Diakon radish has very little carbs according to USDA.  Unlike the unthinkable (but so lovable) potato carbs USDA.  


And as to the taste and texture?  Pretty much spot on!  Hope you enjoy this recipe, whether you are a whiny brat like me or not!

1 comment:

Designs By Jo-Anne Moreau Bougie said...

Thanks Dinah.. I will be making this but using cauliflower.. Hope you feel better soon

Your favebook buddy..